This is the shared website for ORSPACA and UMR 912 SESSTIM.
The Regional Center for Diseases Control in South-Eastern France (ORSPACA) and the Research Unit 912 (Economic & Social Sciences, Health Systems & Medical Informatics), jointly supported by Aix-Marseille University (AMU), INSERM (the French National Institute of Health) and IRD (the French publicly funded institute for research in developing countries)(UMR INSERM/IRD/ AMU) have developed a scientific partnership since 1994.
The joint research unit UMR 912 SESSTIM (INSERM-IRD- AMU) brings together three interdisciplinary teams working in the fields of health economics, social sciences (SES), social epidemiology, biostatistics and medical informatics. These teams respectively focus on research about cancer (Team 1 CAN-BIOS), on infectious and communicable (Team 2 ESSEM), and on chronic diseases whether or not they are related to ageing (Team 3 CRISSPOP). Currently, it is the only French research unit in economic and social sciences applied to health which is supported both by INSERM and IRD outside the Paris region.
SESSTIM has emerged from a collaborative effort by previous research teams from INSERM, IRD and Aix-Marseille Faculty of Medicine and Faculty of Economics which share four common goals:
- To build in Aix-Marseille an international interdisciplinary reference research center for Social Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Health Economics and Social Sciences applied to Health;
- To promote a bidirectional interdisciplinary approach in public health , on the one hand with biomedical and clinical research and on the other hand with "basic" disciplines in economics, social sciences, mathematics and informatics
- To transfer to the field of public health methodological advances in both quantitative and qualitative data collection,data processing and data analysis;
- To contribute to "evidence-based" medical decision making as well as health policies.
The three teams also share three common lines of research that go beyond their specific empirical fields of interest:
- Assessing the epidemiological, economic and social impacts of the current universal trends towards chronic conditions and multimorbidity for both communicable and non-communicable diseases
- Promoting applied research projects in both developed and developing countries with a systematic willingness to combine experiences and transfer of knowledge between these different social contexts ;
- Developing interdisciplinary research on social determinants of inequalities in health.
UMR SESSTIM is a proactive stakeholder in two larger research efforts by Aix-Marseille University that have been awarded national support through the “Investment for the Future” special program by the french government : on the one hand, Aix-Marseille School of Economics (AMSE), on the other hand the Research and Hospital Care Marseille Institute for Infectious Diseases and tropical Medicine( POLMIT). SESSTIM also maintains close ties with the Regional Center for Diseases Control (ORSPACA) and the Regional Hospital for Cancer Care (Institut Paoli-Calmettes). At national level, in addition to scientific and financial support by INSERM and IRD, UMR SESSTIM benefits from competitive grants supplied by the French National Research Agency (ANR), the French Agency for Research on AIDS and Viral Hepatitis (ANRS) and the French National Cancer Institute (INCA). Its activity comes under the authority of the multi-agency thematic institute for public health (ISP) which in turn is part of the Alliance for Life and Health Sciences (AVIESAN), which coordinates all publicly funded research organizations in the country. The UMR SESSTIM also has a wide network of international collaborations (Universities, World Bank, WHO, UNAIDS, etc).